Alaska: The Hottest, Cool Destination
The New Ships, and Is An Inaugural Cruise Right For You?
Cruise Deals Under $500- Plan Your Next Getaway
Alaska: The Hottest, Cool Destination
Cruises to Alaska – From breathtaking glaciers to wildlife and the rare splendor of some of the world’s most beautiful parks to off the beaten track of nature where wildlife abounds, an Alaska cruise offers a voyage through nature’s most bountiful beauty. Go panning for gold, take a ride with sled dogs, or take an excursion through the Denali wilderness.
Many of these are must see/must do, once in a lifetime experiences, so plan each stop in advance to have the best vacation experience. CruiseCompete can help you organize your shore excursions, to get the most out of your stay in a port.
CruiseCompete links you to third-party shore excursion providers, giving you access to higher quality cruise shore excursions at substantially lower prices than the cruise lines. Enjoy a more intimate tour experience away from the crowds.
Be confident in your choice with 24/7 support for travelers, a full refund if you miss your shore excursion due to itinerary changes or weather, and guaranteed return to your cruise ship!
See Alaska Shore Exursions here.
See Alaska Cruise Specials here.
Alaska Cruise News:
Princess Cruises cruises has been voted best Alaska Cruise Line by Travel Weekly Reader’s Choice Awards for eight years in a row. They are certainly experts when it comes to this popular cruise destination. In 2017 Princess will have six ships sailing to Alaska and will be offering even more options for the popular Alaska Land and Sea Vacations. Onboard they will be offering guests a chance to experience Alaska with programs such as Cook by Catch and Puppies in the Piazza. And their Land and Sea vacations will offer visits to 2 of the top attractions in Alaska, Glacier Bay national Park and Denali National Park. More...
Princess Cruises announced the launch ofCook My Catch, an exclusive culinary experience offering guests the ability to enjoy their very own catch of the day while on vacation with the leading cruise line in Alaska.
The unique cruise dining experience is available on Princess cruise vacations during port calls in Juneau and Ketchikan, as well as Princess Land & Sea Vacations featuring stays at Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge and Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge. The new offering is available on select Princess shore excursions including Salmon Sport Fishing Adventure in Juneau; Salmon Sport Fishing Expedition, Hunting for Halibut and the Discovery Exclusive Alaska Fishing & Wilderness Dining excursion in Ketchikan. More...
See Alaska Cruise Specials here.
Alaska Cruise Blogs & Diaries:
Diary: AllThingsCruise.com contributor Jackie Sheckler Finch cruised Alaska in August of 2012 aboard InnerSea DiscoveriesWilderness Explorer. You can read her reports here.
Diary: Writer Eileen Ogintz sailed aboard InnerSea DiscoveriesWilderness Discoverer in July of 2012. You can read her reports here.
Read more about Alaska on the AllThingsCruise Alaska Destination page.
Cruise Specials Under $500.00
Celebrate a Special Occasion...
Royal Caribbean International, Enchantment of the Seas
3 NT Mother's Day Weekend Cruise-from $ 417.89pp Incl. port/tax/obc
3 Night Bahamas Cruise - 3 Days - Starting in Miami with stops in Cococay, Nassau
2016 Sails: May 6
Get a Quote
MSC Cruises, MSC Divina
frm $ 374 PP Celebrate Independence Day
3 Nights - United States, Bahamas - 3 Days - Starting in Miami with stops in Nassau, Cape Canaveral
2016 Sails: Jul 2 Get a Quote
Or Just Get Away...
Carnival Cruise Lines, Carnival Liberty
5nt Carib from Galveston $336
5 Day Western Caribbean from Galveston, TX - 5 Days - Starting in Galveston with stops in Cozumel, Progreso
2016 Sails: Nov 14, Dec 23, Dec 28
2017 Sails: Feb 6, Mar 6, May 15, May 29, Aug 7, Aug 21
Get a Quote
Royal Caribbean International, Majesty of the Seas
Free upgrade to oceanview plus ship credits! $279
4 Night Bahamas Cruise - 4 Days - Starting in Port Canaveral with stops in Cococay, Nassau
2016 Sails: Jun 6, Jun 13, Jun 20, Jun 27, Jul 4, Jul 11, Jul 18, Nov 28, Dec 26
2017 Sails: Jan 23
Get a Quote
See more deals under $500 here.
Why Take An Inaugural Cruise?
For those who love to cruise, inaugural cruises rate high on the to-do cruise list. These exclusive voyages often involve champagne christenings, celebrity godmothers and brand-new ship facilities and amenities. There is nothing like sailing on a brand new cruise ship!
Regardless of the pomp and circumstance, there are seven (7) fabulous reasons that an inaugural cruise is a great bet:
1. The cruise lines realistically expect there may be some problems to be worked out and will oftentimes compensate for what they expect to be minor inconveniences with lower cruise fares. Some inaugural cruises offer “introductory pricing”.
2. Shipboard routines are still being established. Some will complain about this, saying that service and continuity are not what they will be in later voyages. We suggest you adopt a “half-full” attitude, appreciating rather than decrying that everything is not set in stone. Because the ship’s staff is still finding out what passengers want and need, it is more likely to be flexible in getting it for them. Things like menus, seating arrangements, and the scheduling of on-board activities may be available in ways not possible on later cruises.
3. The cruise lines are wise to the fact that the more positive word-of-mouth that’s generated from this first cruise, the better the bookings will be on future voyages. This may mean the cruise line “woos” you with extra special food, entertainment and activities. Passengers on a maiden voyage can take advantage of perks that may not exist on future sailings.
To see inaugural cruise specials, please click here.
Following is a listing of the newest ships to hit the water.
Contemporary Cruise Lines
- Aida Cruises will debut AIDAprima in April 2016. It will carry 3,250 passengers
- Aida Cruises will debut a new ship in 2020. It will carry 6,600 passengers
- Blue Star Line will debut the Titanic II 2018. It will carry 2,435 passengers.
- Carnival Cruise Line will debut the Carnival Vista April 2016. It will carry 4,980 passengers
- Carnival Cruise Line will debut a not yet named in March 2018. The ship will carry 3,954 passengers
- Costa Cruises will debut a not yet named ship in 2019. It will carry 4,200 passengers. This ship will be part of the Costa Asia brand.
Upscale Contemporary Cruise Lines
- MSC Cruises will debut MSC Meraviglia in May 2017. It will carry 4,500 guests.
- MSC Cruises will debut a new MSC Seaside in November 2017. It will carry 4,140 passengers
- MSC Cruises will debut a new Seaside Class Vessel in May 2018. It will carry 5,300 passengers. Its name is to be determined.
- MSC Cruises will debut a new Seaside Class Vessel in 2021. It will carry 5,300 passengers. Its name is to be determined.
- MSC Cruises will debut a Vista-class ship in 2019. It will carry 4,500 guests. Its name is to be determined.
Premium Cruise Lines
- Celebrity Cruises will debut a new EDGE ship in autumn 2018. It will carry 2,900 passengers.
- Celebrity Cruises will debut a new EDGE ship in the early part of 2020. It will carry 2,900 passengers.
- Disney Cruise Line will debut a new ship in 2021. It will have 1,250 staterooms. The name is yet to be determined.
- Disney Cruise Line will debut a new ship in 2023. It will have 1,250 staterooms. The name is yet to be determined.
- Holland America Line will debut a new Pinnacle Class ship, ms Koningsdam, in April 2016. It will carry 2,660 passengers
Ultra-Premium Cruise Lines
Ultra-Luxury Cruise Lines
- Crystal Cruises will debut three new ships beginning in 2018.
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises will debut the Seven Seas Explorer June 2016. It will carry 750 passengers
- Seabourn will debut the Seabourn Encore in December 2016. It will carry 604 passengers.
- Seabourn will debut the Sebourn Ovation in Spring 2018. It will carry 604 passengers.
- Silversea Cruises will debut the Silver Muse in Spring 2017.
River Cruise Lines
- AmaWaterways will debut the AmaViola in 2016. It will carry 158 passengers
- AmaWaterways will debut the AmaStella in 2016. It will carry 158 passengers
- AmaWaterways will debut the AmaKristina in 2017. It will carry 158 passengers
- American Cruise Lines will debut a America in 2016.
- American Cruise Lines will debut a new ship in 2017. It will carry 170 passengers. Name is to be determined
Sailing Vessel/Yacht Cruise Lines
- Star Clippers will debut the world’s largest square ribber in late 2017. It will carry 300 passengers. The name is to be determined.
Expedition Cruise Lines
- Hurtigruten will debut the MS Norway Explorer in 2016. It will carry 320 passengers.
- Lindblad Expeditions will debut a new ship in 2017. Its name is to be determined. It will carry 100 passengers.
- Lindblad Expeditions will debut a new ship in 2018. Its name is to be determined. It will carry 100 passengers.
Small Ship Cruise Lines
- Saga Cruises will introduce a new ship in summer 2019. It will carry fewer than 1000 passengers. Name is to be determined.
- Scenic will introduce Scenic Eclipse, their first yacht as part of the Ocean Cruising Line, in August 2018. It will carry 228 passengers.
- Thomson Cruises will debut Thomson Discovery in Summer 2016
Luxury River Barge Cruise Lines
- European Waterways will debut Finesse in May 2016. It will carry 8 passengers.
While there is a perfect cruise vacation for everyone, not every cruise line is the ideal match for every family. Some lines have minimum age requirements for children (and pregnancy policies for expectant parents!), and others don't permit children to sail at all. In addition, while a line may allow children to sail, it’s not a given that the line has specially designed children’s programs in place.
With these things in mind, determining the best cruise line for your family takes careful research, preparation and planning. The travel experts at CruiseCompete have composed the “2016 Family-Friendly Cruise Travel Planner,” which details every aspect of the family cruise vacation experience.
The “2016 Family-Friendly Cruise Travel Planner” is designed to kick-start your cruise vacation planning, and covers the entire spectrum of options with information on mainstream lines like Disney Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruise Line and Norwegian Cruise Line, as well as unique alternatives like luxury, river and small ship excursion companies.
All information has been compiled in an easy-to-read format, with brief “at-a-glance” summaries to see if the cruise line fits your basic requirements, followed by more detailed information about the atmosphere on board, the destinations you can travel to and the specific programs available for children.
Take a look! 2016 Family Friendly Cruise Travel Planner [PDF] or Online book
Explore More On CruiseCompete:
Cruise Port Reviews
Cruise Ship Reviews
Weddings at Sea
CruiseCompete member-agents are the most well-educated, forward-thinking and trusted cruise specialists in the industry. If you’d like more information or assistance planning a future cruise, please visit CruiseCompete.com. To see consumer feedback click here.
AllThingsCruise – Find us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
Looking for past Currents Newsletters? Just click here for more…
We are interested and truly welcome and encourage feedback about our Currents newsletter. Please email any comments or suggestions to Heidi Allison, Executive VP & Group Publisher, at Heidi@AllThingsCruise.com