About Avalon Waterways
Avalon Waterways is a relatively young (2004) line; the boats that sail Europe's waterways are the industry's youngest, with staterooms among the largest. Avalon's greatest concentration is in Europe.
Chartered ships: the Century Legend and the Century Paragon, which cruise China's Yangtze River. These boats are considerably larger than those sailing in Europe and include such features as a pool and gym. The small (32 passengers) Avalon Angkor cruises the Mekong Delta; unlike larger vessels which must employ a bus add-on, the boat is able to travel from Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam to Siem Reap in Cambodia.
In Egypt, the MS Mayfair cruises the Nile River; the MS Kas Ibrim sails along Lake Nassar. The Santa Cruz operates luxury natural history cruises in the Galapagos Islands (Ecuador).
Avalon Waterways is best for:
Mature adults who desire an elegant, quiet and intimate atmosphere;
Seasoned travelers who are destination oriented and who want a cruise that focuses on history and culture.
The ships of Avalon Waterways Cruises:
Avalon's (newest) Suite class ships were introduced in 2011 with the all-suite Avalon Panorama. These vessels are known for rich, modern decor, spacious staterooms (172-300 square feet), generous closets, luxurious marble bathrooms (with glass-enclosed showers, high-end fixtures and L'Occitane toiletries) premium bedding (choice of pillows) and flat-screen TVs (with movie channels). The Panorama suites have wall-to-wall glass that retracts to create a true open-air balcony.
Panoramic windows are located throughout the common areas, allowing for excellent scenery-watching. Also available: a fitness center, whirlpool, an Internet center, Wi-Fi access and a Sky Deck for lounging, either in sun or shade.
The atmosphere and experience onboard Avalon Waterways
- American Queen (222 passengers)
- Avalon Affinity (138 passengers)
- Avalon Angkor (32 passengers)
- Avalon Creativity (140 passengers)
- Avalon Expression (166 passengers)
- Avalon Felicity (138 passengers)
- Avalon Illumination (166 passengers) (Launching 2014)
- Avalon Imagery (164 passengers)
- Avalon Impression, (166 passengers) (Launching 2014)
- Avalon Luminary (138 passengers)
- Avalon Panorama 162 passengers)
- Avalon Poetry II, (128 passengers) (Launching 2014)
- Avalon Scenery (138 passengers)
- Avalon Tranquility (164 passengers)
- Avalon Visionary (128 passengers)
- Avalon Vista (164 passengers)
- Century Legend (398 passengers)
- Century Paragon (398 passengers)
- Santa Cruz (88 passengers)
- MS Mayfair (146 passengers)
- MS Kasr Ibrim (120 passengers)
- Aria (32 passengers)
- Isabela II (42 passengers)
- M/V Santa Cruise (42 passengers)
Avalon tailors its offerings mostly for the American and Australian market; the ships feature resort-style amenities, large staterooms, fine dining and superior shore excursions. The ambiance is simple and elegant, and the line's enrichment program is excellent, providing an educational focus enhanced by lectures and commentary on the regions visited.
The line offers a variety of themed cruises, which have proved to be popular and have often sold out. Some examples: World War I and European History; Art and Impressionist; Jazz, Culinary, Jewish Heritage, Golf and Wellness.
The destinations served by Avalon Waterways Cruises
The clientele of Avalon Waterways River Cruises
The Avalon demographic is primarily North American passengers in their mid-50s and older, with a younger average age (40s) on shorter cruises. Their cruises are populated by well-traveled adults who prefer small-ship cruising and appreciate the easy access to towns and cities along the cruise route.
Regarding children onboard
Avalon Waterways River Cruises:
Children under 8 years of age are not allowed on any Avalon vacation. There are no children's programs onboard.